Whether you’re home, out for the day, or on vacation, it’s a important to keep your home safe from intruders. When your home is for sale it can attracts more attention from people, so it’s especially important to keep your home safe when you list it for sale.
Here are a few things you can do to protect your home
Most burglars get into people’s homes through an unlocked door or window. Remember to:
• Always lock all your doors and windows.
• Have dead bolts on your doors
• Never leave keys in hiding places outside the house.
• Keep your garage door closed and locked.
• It’s a good idea to have a solid wood or metal door with high quality doorframes.
You can trigger the panic button on your car to set off an alarm that can scare away someone trying to break into your home.
When you’re not home, be sure to give the impression that someone is there. Put your lights on timers & have a neighbor pick up your newspapers and mail. Having bright lights outside around doors and windows discourage break ins.
Secure window air conditioners to prevent them form being yanked out or pushed in.
If you park on your driveway, don’t leave your garage door opener in plain site. Treat it the same way you would treat the key to your home. Burglars can break into your car and use your garage door opener to gain entry to your garage and also into your home.
If your home is listed for sale, keep the lockbox out of plain site view
Plant shrubs or bushes under your windows to discourage prowlers; and keep them trimmed. (It’s also a good idea for curb appeal when selling your home)
Protect yourself in your car
• Always park in well lit places.
• Never leave your keys in the ignition when you step out of the car.
• Keep your car doors and windows locked when driving.
• If someone you don’t know wants to speak with you while you’re in the car, only roll down your window an inch or so.
• Leave at lease a car length between you and the car in front of you so you can easily drive away in the event that the car behind you tries to trap you.
• Don’t keep valuables in your car.